People need a more personal understanding of God than is available through nature and general history. God has provided particular revelation of himself. The modalities that God uses include historical events, divine speech, and the incarnation of God in Christ. Theologians have disagreed as to whether special revelation is propositional or personal. The bible provides both cognitive and affective knowledge of God.
- What is the nature of special revelation?
- Name and describe three characteristics of special revelation. What does each contribute to our understanding of special revelation?
- Through what three means has God chosen to reveal himself? How does each contribute to our understanding of special revelation?
- Why is the incarnation the most complete modality of special revelation?
- How would you compare and contrast personal and propositional revelation? Which is more important and why?